Marble or Granite flooring work is one of an integral part of any finishing works across the buildings, any type, and across the globe to be precise.
This article details the method statement Marble fixing or say, marble flooring or Granite flooring works for complying with applicable standards and codes.
The purpose of this document is to detail the Procedure for Flooring works with Marble or Granite (or Method statement Marble fixing). The documentation will apply to all Engineers, Workmen, QC personnel, and other concerned persons associated with the work.
2. Scope of work
This Procedure covers the applicable codes and standards, sequence of work to be followed during the flooring installation with Marble or Granite (Hereinafter Stonework) in different locations as per the approved drawings and details, manpower requirements, tools and equipment required for the proper execution of works, quality and safety control measures required to complete the work in compliance to the satisfaction Of client and/or consultant.
The scope of work consists of
- Supply of Stones.
- Sequence of installation of stone fixing.
3. References & Standards
- Project Specific specifications
- IS 1122 – METHOD OF TEST FOR DETERMINATION OF TRUE SPECIFIC GRAVITY OF NATURAL BUILDING STONES.
- IS 1124 – METHOD OF TEST FOR DETERMINATION OF WATER ABSORPTION, APPARENT SPECIFIC GRAVITY, AND POROSITY OF NATURAL BUILDING STONES.
- IS 1130 – MARBLE (BLOCK, SLAB AND TILES)
- IS 3316 – SPECIFICATION FOR STRUCTURAL GRANITE
- IS 14223 (PART-I) – POLISHED BUILDING STONES (PART –I) GRANITE
- CPWD SPECIFICATIONS Volume 1 & 2 – GOVERNMENT OF INDIA CENTRAL PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
- IS 4082 – STACKING AND STORAGE OF CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS AND COMPONENTS AT SITE – RECOMMENDATIONS
- IS 2250 – CODE OF PRACTICE FOR PREPARATION AND USE OF MASONRY MORTARS
- IS 269 /IS 8112 /IS 12269 – SPECIFICATION FOR ORDINARY PORTLAND CEMENT 33/43/53 GRADE
4. Resources – a) Materials
Stones used for the project are Italian Marble, Quartz stone, Grata Kota, Bottochino, light Emperador, or any other stones as approved and supplied.
Cement, Coarse sand and Grouting Materials
- Approval of Sample
All stones are supplied by SEPL as approved by Management. Approved samples shall be kept in the sample room and the marble supplied and used on the work shall conform to samples with regard to soundness, color, veining and general texture.
Contractor’s Site Engineers, SEPL Site Engineers SEPL Quality Engineers Supervisors, Foreman, and Safety Advisors.Project Engineer, Site Engineers, Supervisors, Foremen, and helpers.
5. Safety Precautions
- Safety of the personnel and properties is to be given prime importance and all works to be carried out without causing any accidents or property damages.
- Plywood and other related materials shall be stacked properly near the place of work (Do not stack too large quantity near the work area thereby causing safety hazard).
- Height of the stack should not be more than one and half meter.
- Scaffolding to be braced adequately.
- Working space to be clear of rubbish, waste mortar etc so that easy access and cleanliness is ensured.
- Scaffolding to be checked for the load carrying capacity and ensure no overloading.
- Lifting, manual transporting of conventional formwork materials etc must be carried out by workers who are properly trained. Otherwise, this may cause serious injuries to workers.
- Throwing of debris from height strictly prohibited.
- Before commencement of block work in front of lift shaft safety permit should be taken.
- CT props to be fixed in front of lift shaft to tie the safety belt.
- Hard barricading to be cut only by gas cutting (If any anchored in concrete along the openings and edges of the building).
The Project Manager/Construction Manager shall be responsible for the overall implementation of this procedure.
- Approved Good for construction drawing with latest revision issued shall be available with the construction team
- Shop drawings: Shop drawings for reinforcement shall be approved, stamped for GFC as per the contractual requirement if any.
8. Equipment and Tools
- 1/4-inch notched trowel
- 6-inch drywall knife
- Tape measure
- Tile spacers
- Rubber mallet
- Diamond-tipped holes saws (if needed)
- Utility knife
- Foam brush
- Work gloves
- Grout float
- Grout sponge
- Grinding and polishing machine
9. Inspection of materials
- Sizes and Tolerance
The size of marble blocks, slabs and tiles shall be as mentioned below and/or as per the different designs.
|1||Slab||70 to 250/As per lot||30 to 100||16 – 18|
|2||Tiles||10 to 60/As per lot||10 to 60||.8 – 16|
Notes: 1. Length and width of slab shall be in multiples of 10 cm. and thickness in multiple of 1 cm.
2. Tiles shall be as per the design requirement and linear dimensions in multiples of 10 cm.
3. Only slabs and tiles shall be machine cut and factory-made.
4. For 8 mm thick tiles, special precautions will be required for fixing them like using cement sand mortar as per BOQ. Such tiles are not suitable for outside veneering work exposed to rains/sun if used in large areas in continuous stretches. For tiles of thickness 12-16 mm and above cramps may be provided if approved.
- Acceptable limit of tolerance
Slabs: +2 % on length and width and +3% on thickness
Tiles: +3% on length and width and +1% on the thickness
- Physical properties
|Moisture absorption after 24 hrs immersion in cold water||Max. 0.4%||IS 1124||Max. 0.50% weight||IS 1124|
|Hardness||Min. 3||Mhos scale||—||—|
|Specific Gravity||Min. 2.5||IS 1122||Min. 2.6||IS 1122|
In any consignment, all the slabs/tiles of the same group, size, and finish shall be grouped together to constitute a lot. The sample shall be selected and tested separately for each lot for determining its conformity or otherwise to the requirements of the specification. And the results to be as per CPWD Cl: 8.4
- Material delivery and storage
All materials delivered to the site shall comply with the approved samples and shall be stored in the designated area as per the convenience of shifting and handling to the respective working location. All the panels are to be handled with care to avoid any damages during loading, unloading and shifting.
The panels are to be laid on the site evenly such that the load is distributed instead of concentrating at one point. Each panel shall be checked for tolerances and color variations.
- Coordination with Other work trades
Before proceeding with the flooring works contractor shall coordinate with other trades and ensure that all other preceding works as per the approved/acceptable plans were completed.
- Dressing of Slabs:
Every stone shall be cut to the required size and shape, fine chisel dressed on all sides to the full depth so that a straight edge laid along the side of the stone shall be fully in contact with it. The top surface shall also be fine chisel-dressed to remove all waviness. In case machine cut slabs are used, fine chisel dressing of machine-cut surfaces need not be done provided a straight edge laid anywhere along the machine cut surfaces is in contact with every point on it.
The sides and top surface of slabs shall be machine rubbed or table rubbed with coarse sand before paving. All angles and edges of the marble slabs shall be true, square, and free from chippings and the surface shall be true and plane.
10. Work procedure;
Construction procedures should be planned in advance to ensure the safety of personnel and equipment and the integrity of the finished structure.
Base concrete or the RCC slab on which the flooring is to be carried out shall be cleaned well, wetted, and mopped.
Before proceeding with the installation contractor shall verify the room dimension, diagonals and other design details with respect to the installation for the accuracy of drawings and/or designs and any discrepancies found shall be noticed to the concerned engineer for resolving in an acceptable standard to all.
Establish floor levels in terms of finished floor lines in coordination with the main contractor.
All setting out shall be per approved drawings and details. A dry setting out with all slab panels to be assembled on the level bed for checking errors, repolish numbering for easy installation.
Leave a Reply